Everton, founded in 1878 near the St. Domingo Church, was named after this place. The reason for the creation of the football team was the fact that the parishioners actively played cricket in summer, but in wintertime, they preferred football. Soon the team was filled with players who were not related to the church of St. Domingo, and in November 1979, the club was renamed as Everton in honor of the area of Liverpool.
The Everton club has one of the most extraordinary nicknames in England created by fans who often called the team “Toffees”. According to one version, it appeared because in the days of matches, when Everton was playing, Mother Noblet was selling menthol sweets with the name of the club depicted on it. Now it has become a tradition. Another version says that the nickname came from the name of the Everton Toffee House confectionery, located near the Goodison Park (the stadium).
The second byname of the club is “Blackbird”, which appeared due to the color of the spare form. Also, it is associated with another nickname “Blue”, the main club color. Well, the nickname “People’s club” is the “merit” of the former head coach David Moyes, who named Everton like this at the press conference dedicated to his assignment to the position.
Fans of Liverpool, the main opponents of Everton, gave the Toffees an offensive byname “Bitters.” According to the club’s achievements, Everton is weaker than Liverpool. In addition, the word bitters is a kind of antonym to the main nickname Toffees.
Everton logo history
The first official Everton logo was introduced in 1920. It consisted of interwoven EFC letters in white color, which were located on top of the shield with a blue background.
At the end of the 1937/38 season, Everton’s secretary Theo Kelly, who later became the head coach of the club, decided to design a new club logo. In Everton, the district of Liverpool, you won’t find a building older than the Prince Rupert’s Tower, built in the late eighteenth century. Therefore, designers decided to put this image on the club’s emblem. Near this, they added two laurel wreaths, enclosed in a shield, symbolizing victory. Under the shield, there was an inscription in Latin “Nil Satis Nisi Optimum”, which means “Only the best is good enough.” For the first time, the Everton’s logo was demonstrated in 1939. Later, in 1978, it appeared on the T-shirts of the players, (before the form had EFC abbreviation). The emblem has reached the present time with minimum changes.
In 1982, a simplified circular version of the emblem without a shield was officially introduced. The Prince Rupert’s Tower and laurel wreaths were enclosed in a circle. This logo lasted one season.
The new logo that appeared in 1983 lost its circular outline and had tower and wreaths slightly changed. The EFC abbreviation was added.
In 1991, the club returns to the old design of the Everton logo, created by Theo Kelly in 1939. With this variant of the emblem, Everton had been performing until 2000.
In 2000, following the trends of contemporary design, the club did not radically change its favorite club logo but recreated it in a blue color. Also, designers added the year of the club foundation – 1878, dividing it into 2 parts and placing on both sides of the shield. In addition, the inscription “Everton” appeared under the motto of the club. This version of the emblem had remained until 2013.
May 25, 2013, Everton announced the change of logo, but in two days, more than 14 thousand fans signed an online petition asking the leadership not to touch the emblem. The new logo lacks the club’s motto, which had been represented there since 1938, as well as a pair of wreaths, the long-standing symbol of Everton. The leadership of the club gave credence to their fans and in several days announced that this emblem will be used only for one season. The reason for such decision is that the new version had already been put into production.
Therefore, in 2014, the management kept a promise and changed the emblem to a new-old design. The name of the club and the year of its foundation were moved to the middle of the shield, under the tower. The emblem was made in a two-color version (blue and white). It looks quite stylish and attractive.
Everton logo colors
Hex Color: #063A99;
rgb(6, 58, 153)
hsl(219, 93%, 31%)
Hex Color: #FFFFFF;
hsl(0, 100%, 100%)