More than twenty Georgetown Hoyas teams play for Georgetown University at the NCAA Division I. Teams participate in the Big East Conference and other sports associations such as MAISA, EARC, and Patriot League. Football is considered the most popular program, although other sports are also widely represented.
The name Hoyas comes from the phrase “Hoya Saxa”, which is the official greeting of university students. The first word is found in biblical texts and means “what” or “such,” and the second is translated from Latin as “stones.” The use of the nickname Hoyas in relation to teams began in the 1920s.
Meaning and History
- 1978-19950% 0 / 1
- 1995-present100% 1 / 1
Emblem 1978-1995 – This is the personification of the mascot Jack the Bulldog. Following the traditions, the artists depicted on the logo a formidable dog with a studded collar. True, not entirely, but only the head. A striped baseball cap with the letter “G” covers the right ear. The color palette is designed in dark shades of gray and blue. This combination was first used to identify teams at Georgetown University in 1876 visually.
The new sports logo, introduced in 1995, retains its classic colors. Only the graphic component has changed: now instead of the bulldog’s head on the emblem, the letter “G” is depicted – probably the same one that was on the dog’s baseball cap. It is distinguished only by the font: this time, the two sides of the “G” are closed, forming an incomplete circle.
1978 – 1995
1995 – present
Georgetown Hoyas Basketball
The formation of the men’s basketball team dates back to 1907, and the women’s – 1970. The male took part in thirty NCAA Tournaments and five times reached the final. Also, the team competed in six National Invitation Tournament. Behind the women’s team are four NCAA Tournaments and five NIT.
Georgetown Hoyas Football
The football team appeared in 1874. In the 1940s, it was recognized as one of the best among similar sports programs, but in 1951 it was closed due to major losses. In 1964, students were allowed to play club football. And only in 1970 the team again received university status and began to represent Georgetown University in the NCAA.