New York City FC Logo


New York City FC logo

New York City FC is the first and only American professional soccer club of Major League Soccer (MLS) that competes in five districts of New York City. NYCFC became the twentieth overall expansion team of the league on May 21, 2013. The team played its first game at Yankee Stadium on March 8, 2015.

MLS had an interest in placing a second team in the New York area as early as 2006, but they couldn’t find the investors. In 2012, a commissioner Don Garber contacted Ferran Soriano with this matter – Barcelona’s former vice president, now appointed Manchester City CEO.

New York City emblem

In 2013, Manchester City from Premier League of England, in association with the New York Yankees baseball team, paid the $100 million expansion fee to join the league. New York City Football Club, LLC was also registered with the New York State Department on May 7, 2013, and got its name by its location.

City Football Group, which also owns and operates Manchester City Football Club in Premier League of England, is a principal investor in New York City FC and owns 80 percent of the club, with the remaining 20 percent belonging to Yankee Global Enterprises (the company that owns the New York Yankees).

New York City FC symbol

City Football Group is a principal investor in New York City FC and owns 80 percent of the club. It’s a holding company, which is part-owned by Chinese firms CITIC Capital and China Media Capital. Remaining 20 percent belong to Yankee Global Enterprises, which is controlled by the family and partners of a businessman George Steinbrenner.

New York City FC logo history

The team initially used a temporary placeholder image of a blue circle with «New York City FC» written within. On February 4, 2014, it was announced that the selection of an official club logo was to be forthcoming. Although March 3 was originally set as the release date for the two proposed logos, the vote was pushed back as the Yankees vetoed one of the potential emblems for infringing their own trademark. The two logos New York City FC options were revealed on March 10. Over the course of four days, more than 100,000 votes were cast, deciding the emblem that has now become the bedrock of the club’s identity. The winner was announced on March 20, 2014.

2015 – Present

New York City FC emblem 2015-present

Debut New York City FC logo contains the elements created by two designers. Rafael Esquer from Alfalfa Studio came up with a graphic symbol: interlocked «N», «Y» and «C». That stands for team unity. Matthew Wolff handled the formation of the visual identity of the club. He put interlocked letters in the center of several concentric circles of sky blue, obsidian blue and flag orange color. The official New York flag also uses this color scheme.

The winning New York City FC logo is inspired by the old New York City Subway Token, created by the Transit Authority in 1953 and used for 50 years as the standard fare for a ride. The last version of the token had a cut-out pentagon in the center representing the five boroughs: Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. It’s similar to what appears on the franchise’s logo. They’re on either side of New York monogram, to reinforce the club’s connection to the entire city.

There’s a full name of NYCFC: «New York City Football Club» in dark blue on the wide sky blue circle. The location is above and the status of a football club is below. This is written with classic typeface Gotham, a wholly American font designed by type foundry Hoefler&Co, inspired by the City’s signage.

 
Share this post:
Avatar

"All our life is a sport. Sport is a brand. A brand is a logo. Recognizable, popular and with an interesting history. The logo is like life, there is a beginning and there is an end."