The club was founded by the teacher James Allan in 1879. There was an appropriate title “Teachers of Sunderland and the surrounding area”.
The monument of Penshaw as an element of the Sunderland logo expresses the support of fellow countrymen far beyond the city limits. This monument is dedicated to the British John Lambton, who became the first Governor-General of United Canada in 1838. Actually, Penshaw, the name of the area, is translated as “wooded hill”. According to a legend, once upon a time there lived a huge worm that devoured not only cattle but also people as long as the crusader, called John Lambton, did not cope with the dangerous creature.
Sunderland logo history
The football club borrowed lions from the city emblem of Sunderland. However, the team nickname is different – black cats. This was the name of the artillery battery, located in the local area at the beginning of the XIX century. The club nickname was fixed in 1937 when 12-year-old fan Billy Morris brought a black kitten in his pocket at the FA Cup final with Preston. Then Sunderland won – 3: 1.
The wheel depicted on the Sunderland logo is a tribute to the miner’s traditions of the city. The club “Stadium of Light” was built just at the place where one of the largest coal mining enterprises in the region was located until 1993.
The phrase “Consectatio Excellentiae” on the Sunderland logo means “striving for excellence”
The Wearmouth Bridge is located in the right lower corner of the logo shield, connects the north and south of the 175-thousandth Sunderland. It was opened in 1929 by the Duke of York, the future King George VI.
Sunderland logo colors
Hex Color: #EB172B
RGB: (235, 23, 43)
CMYK: (1, 100, 92, 0)
Hex Color: #A68A26
RGB: (166, 138, 38)
CMYK: (35, 39, 100, 8)
Hex Color: #211E1E
RGB: (33, 30, 30)
CMYK: (70, 67, 65, 75)