The history of the glorious Tottenham Hotspur football club began on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, under a street lamp at the corner of the Tottenham High Road and Park Lane streets. On that day, some of the thirteen-year-old pupils of one of the local schools decided to create their own football team. Immediately they collected money and made a list of members of the new club.
The motto of the club in Latin sounds like “Audereest Facere” (in English “To Dare Is To Do”). A cockerel standing on a ball represents the Tottenham Hotspur logo. The main and principal rival of the club is Arsenal, and the meetings between these clubs are called North London derby.
The story of the club name Hotspur F.K is quite interesting. It is believed that this name is associated with Sir Henry Percy (Harry Hotspur), famous for the work of William Shakespeare’s “Henry IV”, who supposedly lived in this region in the XIV century, and whose descendants owned local lands later. In 1884, the club was renamed as Tottenham Hotspur Football Club in order to differentiate it from another team London Hotspur.
The team has special names among the fans. The byname “Spurs” is an abbreviation from the name of the club. Initially, the team was called Hotspur in honor of Sir Henry Percy, who lived in the XIV century, and who had such nickname due to his hot temper (hotspur – Hot Spurs). The club got another byname from Sir Henry, though, it was less popular – “The hotheads.” According to the color of the form, the team has one more nickname “Lilywhites. Of course, now the color of the uniform is slightly different, but the calling remains the same. In addition to the above-mentioned bynames, Tottenham is often called “Jews” because they were supported by the Jewish diaspora in London for a long time.
Tottenham Hotspur logo history
Throughout the history of the club’s development, the main logo of Tottenham Hotspur has also been changed. A cock, depicted enclosed in a shield or standing on a ball, was the invariable attribute of the emblem. And nowadays, the cock is the main symbol of the team.
In 1882-1884, the symbol of the club was represented by the letter H (the initial letter of the word Hotspur).
Starting with the FA Cup final in 1901, the “cockerel” (Harry Hotspur) became the new symbol of Tottenham Hotspur. In 1909, the former player William James made a bronze model of a cockerel standing on a ball, settled on the top of the West Stand.
Between 1956 and 2006, the Spurs used the coat of arms, where the objects, showing any attachment to this locality, were depicted. Lions, leaning on a shield, were taken from the coat of arms of the Northumberland family. They owned most of the Tottenham land, and Sir Henry Percy (Harry Hotspur) was a member of this family. Lions were carrying a shield with the inscription “THFC” (the abbreviation of the official name of the club). The mansion, owned by Bruce Castle, was located 400 yards from the stadium. Now it is a museum. In the upper right, we can see seven elm trees, growing in the London grove of Page Green. Historians assume that these plants point to the place where the witches were burnt. Also, there is a Latin saying “Audere Est Facere” written on the coat of arms.
In 1983, the emblem of Tottenham Hotspur was simplified. The cock, the lions, holding a shield, and the ribbon with a motto remained the same. In this form, the emblem lasted until 2006.
In 2006, the old Tottenham Hotspur logo gave way to a new symbol of the club. Talented designers created a new stylish image of the cock on the ball. Also the inscription Tottenham Hotspur was added under it.
Tottenham Hotspur logo colors
Hex Color: #1c254f;
rgb(28, 37, 79)
hsl(229, 48%, 21%)
Hex Color: #FFFFFF;
hsl(0, 100%, 100%)